We are gearing up for the holiday season and that means a new set of concerns for homeowners. First, there are weather-related concerns and then comes Halloween.
Did you know that the insurance industry can tell you what the most common claims are for each month? Insurance companies keep very accurate and detailed records of when claims occur and what kinds of claims occur in what season.
North Bay Insurance Brokers is your trusted solution for homeowners insurance. We offer coverage options that are both flexible and affordable and will work with you on an individual basis to find a policy that best suits your needs. Our team is dedicated to providing the assurance that your family and your possessions are secure.
Common Claims That Occur In The Fall
- Rear-end collisions. These occur more in the fall due to changing weather and increased rain. If you’re following a car, leave at least four seconds of time between you and the car in front of you if going 45 mph.
- Water damage. Damage as a result of rain or freezing pipes, occurs more often between October and December than in any of the other months.
- Fires from candles, cooking, and fireplaces caused over 45% of the home fires in the fall months.According to gov, more than 2,500 people lose their lives in house fires each year, and another 12,600 are injured.
- Theft from vehicles. From October through December, more cars are broken into at shopping malls, due to increased holiday shopping. Always place your packages out of light in the trunk when going back and forth from your car to the stores.
- Snow, ice and rain accidents. Winter weather, even in warmer parts of the country, creates increased hazards and accidents. 37% of all skidding and snow claims occur between October and December.
- Home burglaries increase about 33% during the fall. Keep your doors locked, use motion detectors, and turn on your home alarm.
In the next few days, we will be watching children scramble from house to house in search of the elusive Halloween treat. However, keeping our kids safe as they are out Halloween night is always a concern.
Safety Tips For Kids
- Never, ever, go into a house.
- Costumes should be short enough to prevent children from tripping and falling
- An adult or an older responsible child should always accompany young children. Even older children should go trick-or-treating with an adult, or with friends. Never go out alone.
- Only go to homes with a porch light on.
- Plan costumes that are bright and reflective.
- Do not eat homemade food.
- Examine all candy. If it has been opened, toss it out.
- Use a flashlight.
At North Bay Insurance Brokers, we know how hard you’ve worked to turn your house into a home. Since your home is one of the most important financial investments of your lifetime, you’ll need proper coverage in order to keep your investment protected and provide your family with the guarantee that they’ll always be safe and sound.