My Rental Home Was Just Damaged…. Who Is Going To Pay?

pixa free dcdAre you updating your basement in order to rent it out? Did you just buy a rental property? Is so, you may need to consider landlord insurance. If your home insurance is not recorded as a Landlord Policy, the insurer can deny the claim.

Landlord insurance provides coverage for the owner of the property for losses and/or damage connected with rental property. As a landlord, you need protection from financial loss as a result of damages to a rental property due to fire, break-in, severe weather, and more.

What Can Landlord Insurance Cover?

  • Property damage. This covers damage to the building from fire, storm, theft, and vandalism.
  • It will protect you against bodily injury to guests or tenants.
  • Loss of rent or income. This insurance will help compensate you for lost income in the event that a rental property becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss, such as a storm or apartment fire.

Does Your Homeowner’s Insurance Cover Your Landlord Risk?

The short answer is no. If you are renting out part of your home or other property, your homeowner’s insurance will not apply. If you are renting on a short term basis, check with your agent; some insurers may offer coverage if it is a short term event.

You need landlord insurance when you do not occupy the same residence as your tenant. You will also need landlord insurance if you are renting out your own home temporarily, or sharing accommodations such as your basement level, with a renter.

At North Bay Insurance Brokers, we know how hard you’ve worked to turn your house into a home. Since your home is one of the most important financial investments of your lifetime, you’ll need proper coverage in order to keep your investment protected and provide your family with the guarantee that they’ll always be safe and sound