Do Devices Like Amazon’s Echo and Alexa Create Personal Liability?
More consumers are buying smart devices that tie in their smart phones and other home technology to the internet. The most current devices allow you to have direct access to the internet from anywhere in your home. By saying a key phrase, which Amazon calls a “wake word,” the Echo comes to life and begins listening for commands. By default, the wake word is Alexa. You can shop, order food, and manage your other connected devises. Conversely, all this freedom brings a few new personal liability exposures.
- Anyone can access the device—including children.
- The device can be turned off, but many people seem to forget to do so.
- Security depends on how well the end-user deploys firewalls, etc.
- There are many documented cases of children buying goods and services simply by saying key words.
- The third-party doctrine.As strong as privacy jurisprudence has been in protecting the home, it has been very weak in another areas. Under the court’s so-called “third party doctrine,” the Constitution does not require police to get a warrant to access people’s records from their bank, telephone company, internet service provider, Google, Amazon, or any other third party. From ACLU.com
At North Bay Insurance Brokers, we know how hard you’ve worked to turn your house into a home. Since your home is one of the most important financial investments of your lifetime, you’ll need proper coverage in order to keep your investment protected and provide your family with the guarantee that they’ll always be safe and sound
North Bay Insurance Brokers is your trusted solution for homeowners insurance. We offer coverage options that are both flexible and affordable, and will work with you on an individual basis to find a policy that best suits your needs. Our team is dedicated to providing the assurance that your family and your
California Insurance Companies Do Differ
We have access to many different insurance companies. There are some companies that specialize in motorcycle insurance, and others that offer custom homeowner’s insurance. You rely on your agent to help you understand the value of each insurance company. However, insurance companies are not all created equal, and we wanted to put forward to you the traits of a good insurance company.
Important Insurance Company Traits
- Online vs. people–if you ever need to call the insurance company, do you get a real person, or do they ask you to do all your transactions online? We believe that it is best to talk to a real person.
- Quick claims response–let’s face it; you buy insurance to have your claims paid. For example, if you have an accident, will your claim be handled quickly and fairly?
- Financial stability–you want your insurance company to be there for you in the long run. We review the financial performance of your insurance company on a regular basis to make sure you are protected as long as you need the insurance.
- Customer satisfaction–JD Powers and Associates publishes customer satisfaction ratings and provides information about the top insurance companies based on customer satisfaction surveys. More importantly, are you happy with the insurance company?
- Competitive premiums–price is always important, but our goal is to find you the best possible combination of price, coverage, and service. Cheap auto insurance could lead to uninsured losses.
- Experience–When you do call the insurance company, are their employees qualified to understand your needs, or do you get a college student working a summer job?
As a locally owned and operated insurance agency in Sonoma, California, North Bay Insurance Brokers is committed to providing quality insurance products for individuals and businesses. We combine our strong insurance background and product knowledge to assist both current and future clients in managing and planning for all types of risk.
When it comes to auto insurance, having options can be a very important way to save money. Putting money back in your pocket is one of our primary goals. We know and understand the auto insurance market. This allows us to provide you with the best possible combination of pricing, coverage and service.
Auto insurance rates
Auto insurance rates differ from company to company, so it really pays to have us shop your insurance. Some markets offer better rates for trucks, RV and campers, while others can offer better rates for motorcycles.
Auto premium savings
There are many things you can do to keep your auto rates at the lowest level possible.
- Review your deductibles. According to the Insurance Information Institute, raising your deductible from $200 to $500 could reduce your Collision and Comprehensive costs by 15 to 20 percent.
- How many mile you drive will impact your auto insurance premiums.
- Look for discounts. There are many different discounts offered by insurance companies. These include multi-policy, good student, and more.
- The kind of car you own can have an impact on the insurance costs. Do some research about a car, before you buy it.
- Is your coverage appropriate based on the type of car you have? If you have an older car it may benefit you to consider raising your collision deductibles.
- Get your policy up to date. Have you experienced changes like a new address, divorce or marriage? Call us for a policy review.
At North Bay Insurance Brokers, we combine premium Auto Insurance with personalized service to give you the best coverage possible. Our insurance specialists will work with you one-on-one to find a policy that keeps you and your drivers protected at all costs – for peace-of-mind driving assurance.
Today, almost any business can find itself facing a liability lawsuit. A Professional Liability lawsuit can put owner’s and other executive’s personal assets at risk including homes, cars, and other possessions. One simple mistake could cause financial devastation, as well as end your professional career. Many businesses don’t think they have an exposure to professional loss. Here are some examples of industries that need Professional Liability Insurance.
- Medical professionals
- Real Estate Agents
- Contractors that provide management services
- Non- Profits
Professional Liability Insurance is sometimes called Errors and Omissions (E&O) coverage. Claims come from errors or omissions in the performance of professional services. Companies that perform professional services for a fee are exposed to E & O claims.
Here are a few actual claim examples:
- A Marketing Consultant failed to send email advertising in a timely manner and the client had lost revenue of $150.000. The claim was settled for $125,000.
- A Head Hunter placed an executive with a firm, but failed to complete due diligence regarding a non-compete agreement. The non-compete limited the executive’s ability to perform job duties. The new employer sued the head hunter for failure to disclose and won a $50,000 award.
At North Bay Insurance Brokers, we understand that mistakes happen. That’s why we’re committed to helping you create a Professional Liability policy that keeps your day-to-day operations protected should your business be held legally liable