A North Bay Insurance Review
March is over and we spent the while month watching 64 college basketball teams play to the final four, then to the championship game. Congratulations to North Carolina! The entire thing reminded us of some insurance madness. We thought we would share with you our “insurance madness final four.” These can impact your business insurance and personal insurance programs.
Insurance Madness Final Four
- Always use an independent agent. Independent agents will search the market for the best possible insurance designed for your family or business. Independents agent do not work for an insurance company, they represent you and look out after your interests first.
- Never buy insurance online. When you buy insurance online you never know if you are getting the best combination of coverage, price, and service. However, you do find out when you have an uninsured claim.
- Always consider deductible options. A simple way to save money is to consider increasing your deductible on your auto insurance, home insurance, or even your business insurance.
- Many people don’t consider these coverage’s but they should
- Identity theft is the fastest growing crime in the United States. Every homeowner should consider identity theft coverage.
- A personal umbrella can offer additional protection for those who own a home or have personal assets worth protecting.
- Your business might be at risk if you do not have cyber liability or employment practices liability.
North Bay Insurance Brokers, Inc. is your trusted solution for homeowners insurance. We offer coverage options that are both flexible and affordable, and will work with you on an individual basis to find a policy that best suits your needs. Our team is dedicated to providing the assurance that your family and your possessions are secure.
Many Sonoma homeowners go without earthquake insurance. Often people mistakenly think that earthquakes are covered under their homeowner’s policy. Other people figure the odds are low, and that nothing will happen. Let us correct you; unless you have added earthquake coverage, it is excluded from your homeowner’s policy. Some mortgage companies may even require earthquake coverage, depending where you are located.
North Bay Earthquake Insurance
Earthquake insurance covers damage to your home and your possessions. Most earthquake policies also cover costs incurred to minimize further damage after an earthquake, plus costs for additional living expenses. Deductibles are generally 10-15% of the insured amount. Exterior structures such as pools, irrigation systems, driveways, and detached garages are generally not covered.
We recommend you consider earthquake coverage. We can help you analyze the cost benefits. Insurance is all about understanding risks, and many homeowners are at risk for earthquake losses.
As a locally owned and operated insurance agency in Sonoma, California, North Bay Insurance Brokers is committed to providing quality insurance products for individuals and businesses. We combine our strong insurance background and product knowledge to assist both current and future clients in managing and planning for all types of risk.
What You Need To Know About Discrimination Claims
Your employees can be, and should be, your most important asset. Often, they are the front line of customer services. They solve problems, sell your products and services, and represent your business to your customers and prospects. Managing employees can be rewarding and challenging at the same time. Employees are very aware of their rights and your responsibilities; which should lead you to be professional, kind and follow the law as you relate to your employees.
Employment Practice Liability Insurance is a product that many businesses buy to protect themselves from litigation. A recent article in the Insurance Journal points out that while employment claims are down; claims involving retaliation are at an all-time high.
The following are the top 10 categories of charges filed with the EEOC:
- Retaliation under all statutes: 37,955 (42.8 percent of all charges filed)
- Race (including racial harassment): 31,073 (35 percent)
- Sex (including pregnancy and sexual harassment): 26,027 (29.3 percent)
- Disability: 25,369 (28.6 percent)
- Age: 20,588 (23.2 percent)
- National Origin: 9,579 (10.8 percent)
- Religion: 3,549 (4.0 percent)
- Color: 2,756 (3.1 percent)
- Equal Pay Act: 938 (1.1 percent) But note that sex-based wage discrimination can also be charged under Title VII’s sex discrimination provision
- Genetic Information Non-Discrimination Act: 333 (0.4 percent)
How To Reduce The Possibility Of Employment Claims
This is not a complete list, but is considered a start to developing solid human resource policies.
- Create an employee handbook
- Have a clear anti-discrimination policy
- Document conversations
- Complete annual employee reviews
At North Bay Insurance Brokers, we understand that mistakes happen. That’s why we’re committed to helping you create a Professional Liability policy that keeps your day-to-day operations protected should your business be held legally liable.
A North Bay Personal Insurance Update
The whole concept of insurance revolves around protecting the assets of an individual from financial loss due to an unpredictable event. The reason that we purchase personal insurance is to protect ourselves from financial disasters. We rely upon the insurance company to take on the risk in exchange for the premiums that we pay. The average consumer spends very little time thinking about insurance purchases. The insurance professional is expected to do most of the thinking for us and advise us on what is best.
There is a simple principle that can be applied to almost all your property and casualty insurance purchases that will save you premium dollars. Self-insuring is that principle. The smart insurance shopper eventually grasps the concept of self-insurance. The whole idea around self-insurance is using deductible options and eliminating unnecessary coverage. The days of the $100 collision deductible for an auto insurance claim is fading fast–and it should. A higher deductible saves you premium dollars. That is what we call “self-insuring.” When you change your deductible from $100 to $500 you are taking on the risk for the first $500 of physical damage. You can do the same thing with your homeowner’s policy, and you will lower your premium and still be covered for any major loss.
You will save a lot of money in the long run by not paying the insurance company money for services they may never perform. You will save thousands of dollars by keeping your deductibles $500 or higher.
There are many optional coverage’s in auto and homeowner’s insurance policies that you may want to eliminate to save money. We can perform a personal insurance review to determine if you are over-insured.
North Bay Insurance Brokers focuses on delivering quality insurance products with a personalized, hands-on experience that sets us apart in today’s market. Our trusted insurance professionals are here to help you with every step of the insurance process and can design a personal or commercial insurance policy to fit your needs. One of the insurance professionals at North Bay Insurance Brokers, Inc. will work closely with you to ensure that you receive individualized attention you deserve.