By now we have all heard about the food safety issues facing the Chipotle restaurant chain. Getting sick while eating out is actually a very common occurrence, and with Chipotle under the microscope, they may now actually be one of the safest places to eat. According to (foodpolitics.com) the main issue at Chipotle was linked to E. coli. The most recent CDC report (December 21) counts 53 cases of E. coli 026 from 9 states, with 20 hospitalizations.
If you operate a North Bay restaurant, food truck, or even offer food to your employees, you have a responsibility to maintain cleanliness and food safety standards in your kitchen. This seems to be a good time to offer up a number of food safety tips for every employer. Your business insurance may cover food borne illness, but it is always a good idea to check with our office. If you own a restaurant or other hospitality operation, make sure your business insurance includes coverage for illness to customers.
Food Safety Tips
- Keep the kitchen clean.
- Require all employees to wash hands before working in the kitchen.
- Require employees to wash hands after using the restroom.
- Make sure all food workers are properly trained.
- Wash all produce.
- Keep meats separated from other food.
- Cook all foods at appropriate temperatures.
- Toss out old food every Friday from the office kitchen.
- State and county health departments are the direct enforcers of local, state, and federal health regulations. When operating a commercial kitchen, it is important to know the local health codes to avoid fines and prevent foodborne illness outbreaks.
- If you are having an office party, you may want to consider purchasing foods.
- Proper cleaning and sanitizing of all food contact surfaces and utensils will reduce germs.
- Clean all food equipment daily.
- Never let food sit out for long periods of time.
Our agency has a long history of proudly serving your area as an Independent Insurance Agency and representing some of the best insurance companies in the business. North Bay Insurance Brokers Inc. focuses on delivering quality insurance products with a personalized, hands-on experience that sets us apart in today’s market.