Can You Live Without Disaster Insurance?
Wildfires are burning all over the Sates of California, including the North Bay region. Human caused disasters and natural disasters occur in every state. California has earthquakes and wild fires, Colorado has flooding and wildfires, the Northeast has winter storms and high winds, Florida has flooding and hurricanes, and the Midwest has flooding and tornados.
Personal Insurance And Disasters
Most North Bay personal insurance products can cover wildfires; however earthquakes are excluded and require a separate policy. It is safe to say that most business and homeowner’s insurance policies do not cover the risks associated with disasters. The only exception would be damage caused by wildfires. Let’s look at how personal insurance might apply to other disasters.
- Floods— Only 13% of U.S. homeowners had flood-insurance policies last year according to the Insurance Information Institute, a trade group. Flood insurance must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program. We can help you if you need the coverage.
- Earthquake—Every North Bay homeowner and business needs earthquake insurance. Earthquake insurance also must be added or purchased under a separate policy.
- High Winds— Damage from high winds typically is covered under most insurance policies.
- Mudslides— A standard home insurance policy does not protect your home against damage caused by a mudslide. Mudslides are usually defined as ground movement. Heavy rains that cause a mudflow would typically be covered.
- Heavy Rain and Winter Storms— Winter storms and rain damage is covered under a typical homeowner’s policy. If flooding occurs, then the flood damage would be covered.
- Hail— Most homeowner’s insurance policies provide coverage for losses resulting from hail.
- Wildfires— It can be safe to say that all homeowner’s insurance covers loss resulting from a fire. Wildfires are considered a fire and would be covered.
Coverage disclaimer–the information provided here is for general purposes only. It is not our intent to change or modify insurance coverage. Each insurance policy is different and your individual coverage will be determined by the terms of your insurance policy.
As a locally owned and operated insurance agency in Sonoma, California, North Bay Insurance Brokers, Inc. is committed to providing quality insurance products for individuals and businesses. We combine our strong insurance background and product knowledge to assist both current and future clients in managing and planning for all types of risk.