Agritourism is any activity that allows members of the general public on your winery, farm property for recreational, entertainment, or educational purposes. Agritourism activities include everything from a bed and breakfast, a corn maze, an educational field trip, a store or wine tasting, to “pick your own” and roadside farm stands. It is important to understand your increased liability, by having visitors on your property.
Here are three issues to remember:
Almost 30 million children visit farms and ranches each year according to the US government.
Most visitors are unfamiliar with the agricultural environment. Owners need to ensure the safety and health of all guests visiting their operations.
Here are a few safety tips for you to consider as part of your Agritourism activities:
- Develop emergency plans just in case the worst happens. Have procedures in place for major injuries, heart attacks, pet bites, and more.
- If you serve food make sure you follow all the state food handling policies.
- Make sure you have traffic control procedures and extra staff if needed.
- Address the safety issues with all ponds, machinery, and chemicals.
- Do you use outside vendors? If so, make sure you obtain certificates of insurance.
- If you have rides of any kind you should require a waiver of liability.
- Have safety equipment such as fire extinguishers and first aid kits throughout the farm.
- Use signs to post rules and vehicle speeds.
- Train your employees on all safety measures.
Implementation of these guidelines is not intended to absolve the farm owner of all liability. They are, however, intended to reduce the risk of a guest being injured and to demonstrate a “good faith” effort to protect guests.
Our professionals work diligently to understand our client’s risks, goals, culture & vision in order to develop with you a risk management program to support your mission. Every industry has specific needs when it comes to insurance. Industry-specific risks make it impossible for insurance companies to lump together one insurance plan for every business. At North Bay Insurance Brokers, we understand that being unique is what makes your business successful across the board. That’s why we provide industry-specific insurance options for businesses of all types.